Back to Boxers | Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Back to Boxers

37K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Emhatasun 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

My name is Ken, I live in Calgary, AB, Canada, and am in search for my second Boxer.

My first Boxer was a rescue, sort of. I got Tydis, from a co-worker of a friend who just could not care for him anymore. He was 14 months old and only 37lbs, just a skinny bone rack with a big head. His owner didn't know anything about dogs, he was only feeding him once a day, didn't do any training and did not have a fenced yard. When he found himself working 12+ hour days he finally decided to give him up.

I had a 6 year old female Doberman when I took Tydis, in and they were best friends from the moment they met. One year later Tydis, was a happy healthy 83lbs. I was very lucky with his health since he had originally come from a "back yard breeder". I took him straight to my vet the day after I brought him home and she told me straight out that "if I had been looking for the one breed of dog susceptible to more health problems then a Doberman, that I had just found it". Other then a recurring ear infection he had no other health issues.

I lost Tydis, a couple years ago at 10.5 years and now that I'm ready for a new dog it just has to be a Boxer. I do need a change though, Tydis, was a handsome fawn with a black mask, white chest and socks so this time around I'm looking for a plain brindle.

Unfortunately Tydis's lack of training in his youth and some dog aggression issues kept us from any dog sports but I fully intend to compete in obedience, sport detection and perhaps even Shutzhund if my new pup has the right "drive"

Anyway I have come to this forum in hopes of finding some guidance on selecting a breeder, training technique for Boxers and to share stories with others who appreciate my love of this breed.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry you lost Tydis its sounds like you gave him a wonderful home. I don't know that I agree that Boxers have more health problems than Boxers do from what I read looks like Dobermans have a huge amount of health problems as well. I hate that Tydis had to live such a terrible life for his formative years and yes sometimes those aggression issues become permanent in an untrained unsocialized dog but it sound like you made the best of it. I did Shutzhund work with a German Shepherd when I was younger and it really does change the personality in a dog and I don't feel its for the better for a dog that is a household pet its different for working dogs who are not pets. Knowing Boxers like I do now after having 6 of them and their sensitive and intelligent natures I would shudder at the thought of doing that training with one. I know that they have been used for this but it just feels like such a wrong thing to do to such a fun loving and happy dog, it has to change their personality. My dogs have never had protection training but they have always been willing and able to protect me I am not afraid wherever I go I know they will have my back it is in their nature to protect the ones they love. I think its a good idea to get a different color dog I have had all the color combos Boxers come in except white. That's just my 2 cents worth.

#5 ·
As for the Shutzhund training I'm more interested in the obedience and tracking aspects of the sport along with the "send aways" they use to have the dog run and check the blinds. There are 3 Shutzhund clubs in my area and the one I'm interested in isn't as hard core as the other two which are very competitive clubs. I would be able to train with them and not do "bite work" which I agree seems a bit off for a breed that loves people so much.
I must say however that I also like how Shutzhund trains a dog to have an instant "out" if they were to ever bite wether it was a person or another dog.

#6 ·
I have trained my guys the "wait" command if I see a situation that I think could be dangerous for them or impinge on someone else I often let my dogs off leash and when I say "wait" they immediately stop what they are doing that works for Vet procedures as well. I also have trained them to stop immediately if I drop the leash and
wait" it takes a lot of work but it can be done. I love these dogs so much and we are out all the time in public I like that I don't have to worry they will bite someone or run off or try to fight other dogs. My dogs are fantastic sometimes a little hard headed but I love them so much. You will never find a more free and happy spirit as a Boxer they are pure joy and fun if you raise them right. I am glad you are not considering the "hard core" group like I said the "bite" thing changes a dog, your pet dog thinks you and other people are just great but one that's been taught to bite "knows' they are more powerful than people and can take them down at anytime this is not a wonderful thing for a dog to know and Boxers are some of the smartest dogs I have ever encountered you can see them think. Obedience is always an important skill for safety and to make a great dog tracking work is fun too I have done that as well (not with Boxers) so I hope you and your new pup will get to enjoy some good training and bonding time.

#8 ·
I
I am glad you are not considering the "hard core" group like I said the "bite" thing changes a dog, your pet dog thinks you and other people are just great but one that's been taught to bite "knows' they are more powerful than people and can take them down at anytime this is not a wonderful thing for a dog to know
I have to say... I don't agree with this. IMHO from what I've seen (and worked with) a very small % take is that serious. It's all a game

#7 ·
Welcome Ken, no reason at all you can't do all 3 phases of IPG (formerly IPO, formerly Schuzthund, lol) assuming you get the right dog. The down side is there aren't a lot of working boxer kennels.
A dog trained in IPG isn't more likely to have "people problems"
It's just a game for a large portion of the dogs doing it. Are there some dogs that take it really serious, yes, but that's not the majority.
Make sure you agree with the training methods of the club.. there are some that are still very old school and use more pressure then you have to.
Regardless of the bite work side, if you plan to do advanced OB or scent work/tracking , the dog need to be socially stable and have good/great food and toy drive.
Boxers in general are on the goofy/independent side so you need as much stacked in your favor as you can...lol.
For that reason, I would only look at working kennels that truly work their dogs in some type of sport that requires the drives you're looking for. Hope that helps

#11 ·
Going to disagree on the bite work changing a dog.

Its one of the few things my guy loves doing, he doesn't have much drive towards toys or food etc. Now its not ipo because he doesn't have the drive for it, but its our own version of it. He has a very strong bite too, been through a couple sleeves and wedges. He has never once tried to bite or act aggressive towards anyone, any dog. He has amazing bite inhibition, much better than any dog that I have had or know. He won't even play bite with other dogs, even when the 7 month old female boxer he plays with frequently is biting him and he has had enough. He will just use his paw to hold her down

#12 ·
Well I have been down and out (sick) for a bit but doing better now! :)

The send away ... I don't tink is that a big deal?? My Boxer Struddell and my Band Dawg Gunther?? Could do that?? Although my WL GSD (with Wobblers) would not?? Rocky my first Wl Over Sized GSD ... had "Zero," interest in leaving my side.

I have no idea if my current Boxer/APBT, mix would do that?? I got other bigger issues with her silly butt?? But hey I suppose, I'll have to work on "send away," to see what she will do??? :)

And I have zero issues with KACO's dog ... and I'd say .. highly recommended, for most owner's! But she does not put her Boxer's out there to be more than they are??

But unless ... you have a local Boxer, IPO club near you and they are fairly rare?? Your gonna be hanging out with GSD and MAl, clubs?? And most of them tend to think a Boxer??? A "Working Boxer," is a joke and waste of time!

Most likely ... one can blame the American Line Boxer, for that perception?? AL Boxer's are very good at what they do, "family pet!" But beyond that ...uh not so much??? Mal and GSD folks are not Boxer people, for the most part?? And most of them tend think a Boxer is a joke and waste of time??

Most of them are only familiar, with AL Boxer's and they have no idea what a "Euro Boxer," is??? The Euro Boxer's are still the, "Real Deal!" And the only Boxer's doing the LE deal today ... still are all Euro's and they all seem to be concentrated in the mid west???

And most of them are from http://www.boxersvonbachbett.com/bachbett_2017_002.htm

And the only serious other, serious Working line Boxer's that I am aware of?? Would be from ... https://www.bigmacboxers.com/
Most likely there are other's ... but they are pretty rare???

But if one is, serious, about the IPO stuff and getting the right puppy with the right drives?? Those guys would be the place to go??

Even still ... the GSD and the MAl crowd will think a Boxer is a joke?? You know until he/she proves otherwise!

Still even a Boxer with the, "Right Stuff??" Is gonna be a pretty consuming uh challenge??? Many years ago, I heard a LE K9, trainer say he could train three WL GSD's in the same time it takes to train one Boxer! So there is that. :)

#13 · (Edited)
Bringing a 10-month-old rescue into your home can present challenges, especially when it comes to integrating them with your existing furry family members. It's heartwarming to see your commitment to providing a loving home for a rescue, despite the initial hurdles. Remember, patience and consistent training are key. Your rescue's playful nature and unique mannerisms, though initially intimidating to your other dogs, offer a wonderful opportunity for growth and bonding among your pets. For helpful training tips and more, consider visiting аpk1xbet.in for engaging resources. With time, understanding, and guidance, your rescue will learn the ropes, ensuring a harmonious household.